Quick Italian beef stew
Quick, easy and mouth-wateringly tasty, this hearty Italian beef stew is the perfect dish to throw together in a hurry. Made with Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured rump steak and dished up with fresh vegetables, it’s sure to be a hit at the dinner table.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins
Always wash your hands after handling raw meat
- 600g Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured rump steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube dissolved in 100ml of hot water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin of Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of flat leaf parsley
- Crusty bread
• For the best result, cook the beef in two batches. Heat half of the oil in a non-stick wok or frying pan until very hot then add half the beef, stir fry for 2 -3 minutes until brown, remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining beef.
• Return to the wok or frying pan and heat the remaining oil. Fry the onion until it begins to soften, then add the red pepper and courgette, cook for a minute stirring continuously.
• Pour chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, dissolved stock cube in water, garlic, sugar and balsamic vinegar into the pan and bring to the boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Return the cooked beef to the pan along with Cannellini beans and chopped parsley, cook for about 3 minutes before serving with crusty bread.