A simple, wholesome, flavour-packed meal the whole family love. This beef stew is like a hug in a bowl.
160C/Gas mark 3
Braising Steak 300g
Tomato Puree 1 tbsp.
Beef stock 750ml – 1litre
Local ale 250ml
Carrot, diced 1 – 2
Celeriac, diced 1
Onion, diced 1
Parsley, chopped 10g
Rapeseed oil 100ml approx.
Good quality salt 1 tbsp.
Fresh bread 2 – 4 slices
Softened butter (optional)
1. First dice the beef into bite size pieces, place in hot casserole dish with some oil
2. Brown the beef all over, this should take 2 – 3 minutes
3. Next add all the diced vegetables, barley and tomato puree
4. Cook for about 5 minutes, but be careful not to let it stick to the bottom of the pan
5. Deglaze the casserole dish with the local ale and bring to the boil
6. Pour in the beef stock and cover
7. Allow to simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender, and the stew has thickened
8. Finish with freshly chopped herbs and serve with warm bread and butter