A warming hearty dish, perfect on a cold winter night. Our shepherds pie is easy to make and filled with nutritious ingredients, perfect for serving up a healthy balanced meal.
180 Degrees / 160 Degrees Fan / Gas Mark 4
500g Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured minced beef
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled, cut in half and finely sliced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
100g frozen peas
For the topping
1 small turnip (about
600g when peeled and cut into cubes)
3 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
3 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
100g Cheddar cheese, grated
Seasonal steamed green vegetables
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions until soft. Add minced steak and continue to cook for 5 minutes until brown. Pour in passata and add Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, beef stock cubes and season. Reduce the temperature and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Finally, stir in peas and cook for a minute before transferring the mixture to an earthenware dish.
For the topping
1. Meanwhile place the prepared turnip, carrots and parsnips into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and use a fork to mash the vegetables. Season.
2. Preheat an oven to 180oC / (Fan 160oC) / Gas mark
3. Spread the mashed vegetables over the meat. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes
4. Serve with seasonal steamed green vegetables