Italian Beef Casserole & Parmesan Potatoes
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes Oven temperature: 180°C/ gas mark 4 Serves: 6 Always wash your hands after handling raw meat Ingredients: 600g Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured braising steak 1 teaspoon olive oil 100g pancetta, chopped 200g baby onions, peeled 2 carrots, peeled, chopped 1 celery stick, sliced 250g […]
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Oven temperature: 180°C/ gas mark 4
Always wash your hands after handling raw meat
- 600g Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured braising steak
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 100g pancetta, chopped
- 200g baby onions, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 410g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato paste
- 500mls beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
Ingredients for Parmesan Potatoes
- 1 kg Maris piper potatoes. peeled
- 60g parmesan, grated
• Cut the steak into cubes and season with a little pepper.
• Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium to high heat. Brown the steak and then transfer to a plate.
• Fry the pancetta in the casserole dish until golden and remove to the same plate as the steak.
• Reduce the heat and gently fry the baby onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic in the casserole dish. Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, beef stock and bay leaves.
• Return the beef and pancetta to the casserole dish, place a lid on top and boil, then transfer the casserole dish to a hot oven for 90 minutes.
• Meanwhile cut the peeled potatoes in half and place into a saucepan of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the temperature and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender, drain and set aside.
• Remove the casserole from the oven, remove the lid and discard the bay leaves.
• Slice the cooked potatoes and arrange on top of the casserole, sprinkle with grated parmesan and return to the hot oven without a lid for 10 minutes until golden.