Greek Lamb, aubergine and tomato bake
Bring the fresh flavours of Greece to the table with Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured lean lamb mince. Layered with aubergines and a garlicky tomato sauce, this tasty bake will have you smashing plates!
Prep Time 25 mins
Cooking Time 45 mins
Oven temperature Pre-heat to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4, you will need a large ovenproof earthenware dish
Always wash your hands after handling raw meat
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 slices of smoked streaky bacon
- 500g Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured lean lamb mince
- 1 teaspoon of tomato puree
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 small handful of fresh oregano leaves
- 1 small handful chopped fresh basil
- 1 large aubergine, weighing about 300g
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100ml of cream
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- A little salt and black pepper
Heat half of the oil in a large pan and fry the onion until soft, add the smoked bacon and fry until crisp, then add the garlic and minced lamb and thoroughly brown. Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, cinnamon, paprika, oregano and basil. Bring to the boil, then reduce to the lowest setting and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice the aubergines and lay them on a baking tray, brush with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper then bake in a hot oven until golden. Lay half the aubergine slices over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish. Spoon half of the sauce over the aubergines. Repeat with the remaining aubergines and sauce.
To make the topping, whisk the eggs, cream, parmesan, salt and a little pepper together. Pour over the lamb and aubergine mixture. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.