Gourmet steak burger with healthy chips
Sick of shop-bought burgers that just don’t cut the mustard? Try this delicious home-prepared recipe, made using Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured lean minced steak. It’s a juicy treat which can be dished up in minutes.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 25 mins
Oven temperature Pre-heat oven to 200oC/400oF/gas mark 6 & pre-heat grill to moderate
Always wash your hands after handling raw meat
- 500g Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured lean minced steak
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of English mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of tomato puree
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
For the healthy chips:
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes
- Low calorie spray oil
- 4 burger buns, cut in half and lightly toasted
- 4 slices of mozzarella
- 1 beef tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and fried
- 1 handful of salad leaves
• Spray a large baking tray with oil and set into a hot oven.
• Wash the potatoes, leave the skin on and then cut into chips. Rinse the chips under cold running water to remove any starch before plunging into a large saucepan of boiling water, cook for 2 minutes, and then drain well.
• Remove the hot tray from the oven and tip the chips onto it (they will sizzle as they hit the hot tray), spray the chips with oil and return the tray to the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the chips are golden and crisp, turn occasionally.
• Mix the burger ingredients together and form 4 equal burger patties.
• Grill under a medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked. Set aside to rest and keep warm while you toast the buns.
• Place the warm burgers onto a bun, top with mozzarella, tomato, fried onions, salad leaves and then serve with chips.