Asian beef salad in filo baskets
Enjoy succulent chunks of Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured sirloin steak, marinated in fresh ginger and honey, and served up in a light filo pastry parcel. Perfect as a starter at a dinner party or served as nibbles at a summer garden party.
Prep Time 15 mins
Marinade Time 30 mins
Cooking Time 5 mins
Oven temperature Pre-heat to 180oC/350oF/gas mark 4
Always wash your hands after handling raw meat
- 2 large Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assured sirloin steaks
- A little olive oil
For the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the filo baskets:
- 2 filo pastry sheets (270g box – you can wrap leftover pastry and freeze it)
- 30g butter, melted
For the salad
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, cut into ribbons
- A small handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 little gem lettuce, finely shredded
• Prepare the marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl. Place the steaks into the marinade, coat well and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
• Lay 2 large sheets of filo pastry onto a work surface. Brush one with melted butter, place the second sheet of filo on top and smooth to remove any creases.
• Cut the filo in half horizontally and then make 4 vertical cuts into the pastry. This will give you 8 square pieces.
• Line each muffin mould with a square of pastry to create a basket shape.
• Bake the baskets in a hot oven for 10 minutes until golden and crisp.
• Heat a non-stick frying pan until it is very hot. Add a little oil and sear the steaks for 1 minute on both sides, remove from the pan and place onto an oven tray. Pour the remaining marinade on top of the steaks and cook in a hot oven for 5 minutes for medium rare.
• Remove the steaks from the oven and rest for 2 minutes before slicing.
• Mix with the salad ingredients and fill each filo basket before serving.